Thursday, March 5, 2009

HEAVENLY SEVENTIES

Ok, since we are on the subject of old shoes, let's just all get it out there about some of our memories from the seventies. I loved the 70's, hated the 80's, tolerated the 90's and am just pushing to get through the 00's.

I had penny loafers. I was so spoiled. As soon as something new came out I had mama going right out there to purchase it for me. Go, go boots ( I really think that was the late 60's), knee boots, but only the ones that would fit real tight around my calves and that was a chore trying to find those because my legs were as skinny as toothpicks, but I finally found a pair at Bakers. My penny loafers were the new style with the big tongue. Then of course we had to go over to the army surplus store and get me some hip-huggger bell bottoms and a body suit that snapped at the crotch so you wouldn't show your crack when you sat down and the wide belt to go with them. Now they just show their crack so everyone can see their tramp stamp tatoo and their thong. And my mama thought I was a hand-full. I guess I was but it was all innocent fun.

My dresses were sooo short I had to scoot in my seat at school to sit down. Then I had to be careful going up and down the stairs at school (my school had three stories and a basement) not only to try not to show my butt but also to try and not break my leg with the clogs or the knee boots I had on. Do you remember the platform shoes? I loved those. I had a purple pair that laced up that I wore with a pink zip up in front terry mini dress. (What the ?!!**? was I thinking?) I would have beat my kids to death if they would have tried to walk out of this house in that garb. I guess it's a good thing I got rid of all of that mess because I know they would have tried to wear it.

Who remembers tent dresses? Paper dresses? Jackie had one that looked like the yellow pages. Where did you get that thing? Leather skirts? I got in so much trouble at school one time. Mama (she was big on trying to sew for us, Jackie remembers the rain coats she made!) OMG! Anyway, mama had made me a light blue leather skirt I think with what she had left over from a jumper she made Jackie, and that was one of the most hidious things she made. It was so long, it came down to my knees. So you know me---as soon as she let me out at school, I ducked around the closest cubby hole I could find and rolled it up about eight times. I didn't care that now I have this big BULGE around my waist, at least I was COOL.. Oh, brother..Anyway, it only took a second for my teacher to realize what I had done and I was pulled out in the hallway and made to roll it all the way back down and she marched me right back in the room in front of all of my classmates. I was so humiliated. She should have whooped my butt. I looked real stupid because I also had on a pair of tan mocassin shoes.

Oh, and back to mama and her hidious outfits she sewed. This is no joke. She went to the store and bought some Naugahyde! Ok my Webster says: Naug-a-hyde (nog' e hid') trademark for an imitation leather, used for upholstery, luggage, etc. Do you see anywhere in this definition to use to make your stupid teenager a jumper??? Me either!! It was brown and it was HEAVY.. Anyway she did, she made me this stupid jumper that probably weighed seven or eight pounds and I wore it to school. Covered buttons and all. I'm glad she didn't decide to line it. Boy that thing sure was warm and did I mention heavy? I don't know who helped me get it off and on but I am certain that one person was not capable of doing it. I think today that would be called child abuse. That's probably really what happened to my neck.

Well I guess I better go for now. I will look forward to hearing everyones 70 stories. I have a lot more memories of some of the things my mama did to us I will share with you later. God Bless her.

4 comments:

Jackie said...

That is so funny.

Midway Records said...

You know if showing your body was the style when we were teens, we would have tried it too! See what you did to your long skirt!

Son said...

I haven't laughed that hard in a while. Thanks! I can just see that hideous "leather" outfit your mom made you wear. And I guess every generation has to try and get away with wearing something that their parents wish they wouldn't. I am in full agreement with you on the distastefulness of the crack hanging out and ask Pepaw (Bobby) how he feels about the tramp stamp!

365 Letters said...

Julie, I feel like I should know you, but I haven't found the connection yet. I was going to school up in Plainview in the late '70s, early '80s. I was wearing stacked heels with my bell bottoms. Do you remember "doughnut" shoes? Wedges with a hole in the heel. And, what were those brightly colored cloth shoes with the rope-covered heels? By the time I got to Texas Tech and had to walk all the way across that campus, I came to my senses and started wearing flats or tennis shoes.

My grandmother made me lots of double-knit, elastic waist skirts when I was in about the 5th, 6th or 7th grade. My mom told me about how she used to roll up her skirts when she was a girl, so I started doing it, too. Now, of course, she denies ever telling me that...she doesn't deny rolling up her skirts; she just doesn't think she told me about it.

She made me wear barrettes in my hair to keep it out of my eyes. No self-respecting hippie wore barrettes, at least in my mind. So, as soon as I left the house for school each morning, I took those barrettes out, shook my hair loose and in my face and went on to school...I just had to remember to put them back in before I got home!